Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Prayer vs. Meditation: Is there really a difference?, Spiritual Meditations, NewAgeIslam.com

Spiritual Meditations
Prayer vs. Meditation: Is there really a difference?
By Adrianne Murchison
Aug 22, 2009

In group settings, for instance, when there is a desire for a few words of intention to set the tone, some folks might be uncomfortable with “prayer,” she says. Adding that prayer is talking to God, and meditation is listening to God.

I’m perplexed when friends make a distinction between prayer and meditation because through prayer I learned to meditate. Prayer takes me to God.

Prayer clears my head and sets my intention, which is to be close to God, right now. I am talking to God with my mind, as my friend says. In communion with Him, I get a few things off my chest. I speak my heart. Sometimes I cry. And then I tire of talking and move into listening, which is supremely powerful.

I’m Catholic and first learned to meditate years ago by saying the Rosary –a recitation of the “Hail Mary" prayer. I start by whispering the words. After a few minutes I am no longer whispering but, instead, mouthing the words in silence. Soon the words and my thoughts become labouring, because I am with God and they are not necessary. I let my words and thoughts go and simply experience Oneness.

http://newageislam.com/prayer-vs.-meditation--is-there-really-a-difference?/spiritual-meditations/d/1826


0 comments: