Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

NOSTALGIA: Memories of a Gandhian childhood, Islamic Society, NewAgeIslam.com

Islamic Society
NOSTALGIA: Memories of a Gandhian childhood

For months I'd been eyeing a frilly silk frock for my birthday but my hopes were shattered because the only money my father had -seditious Rs. 10 and Rs. 100 notes with Gandhiji's profile in one corner - would be accepted only at Khadi Bhandar. So we went to Khadi Bhandar. My mother bought a khaddar sari, my father a khadi silk coat and something for my brother. I sulked because I didn't like any of the frocks; they were so ugly and rough. Even the silk ones were not pretty but since I knew we would not be going to any other shop I chose a frock. I don't remember ever wearing it.

At that time, my father was editing a fiercely nationalist paper called Voice of India, now defunct. He was a great writer but knew nothing about managing money, so he asked Sarojini Naidu to join him as Manager and Director believing that a woman could handle finances better. He was so wrong! They ran up debts and had to declare insolvency after a spell. Both were hauled up in court. Incidentally Jinnah was the judge before whom they were produced.

http://newageislam.com/nostalgia--memories-of-a-gandhian-childhood/islamic-society/d/575


0 comments: