Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Frustrated Pakistanis debate their country’s future, if any, The War within Islam, NewAgeIslam.com

The War within Islam
Frustrated Pakistanis debate their country’s future, if any
I want my country back
Sehar Tariq
The News, Islamabad, Friday, April 17, 2009

Eight years ago I boarded a plane to the United States to come to college. I was 17. As I left, my father hugged me and told me to never come back because he believed that soon Pakistan would not be a country fit for me to live in. I told him he was trying to save money by not having to buy me tickets to come home. We laughed it off. I hugged him goodbye and that day my father and I began our great debate about the fate of Pakistan. Abba told me to stay away. I defied him every time. I came home twice a year. I only flew PIA. I refused to do an internship in the US I worked every summer in Pakistan. I moved back when college ended. I started work in Pakistan. I worked two jobs because there was so much to do and not enough time to do it in. I was inspired and energised. I was hopeful and optimistic.

Today I am neither. And I have lost the debate with my father about the fate of Pakistan. The Parliament by endorsing the Nizam-e-Adl Regulation (NAR) has heralded the end of Pakistan as I knew and loved it. Today, the elected representatives of the people turned Pakistan into Talibanistan. Today we handed over a part of the country to them. I wonder how much longer before we surrender it all.

http://newageislam.com/frustrated-pakistanis-debate-their-country%E2%80%99s-future,-if-any--/the-war-within-islam/d/1381


0 comments: